I’ve written multiple columns and blog posts about saving Mattawoman Creek by preventing the construction of the Cross County Connector, a highway which would cut across the Creek. You can find out more information on this issue from this post and this column. I’ve just gotten an e-mail from the Sierra Club saying the state’s decision on whether or not to issue the permit for this road has been postponed to April for a third time, insisting on greater details the impact of the highway would have on two endangered species. Below is the e-mail.
Dear Sierrans and Friends of the Mattawoman,
I just wanted to get to you quickly to let you know the good news.
The Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) has just postponed its Dec. 1st
decision on the Charles County Connector. (This is the unnecessary highway that
would cut across the upper Mattawoman, bringing with it sprawl development which
would effectively kill the river’s sensitive species.)
MDE is hearing our environmental objections. In its letter to Charles county,
MDE insists that the county complete studies of the impact of the highway on two
endangered species in the wetlands it would destroy. It postpones the decision
until an undetermined date in the spring of 2010. It’s the third time that MDE
has had to push the decision back.
This is just a postponement, but it gives us time to involve more citizens and
to let the state government know that protecting the Mattawoman is essential to
protecting the Bay. We’ll be in touch about next steps…
Thanks for doing your part.
Maryland Chapter Conservation Program Coordinator
P.S. Here’s a blog where you read about the postponement and comment