What’s noteworthy about this coalition is the support from states such as West Virginia and Oklahoma. Below is the press release, and here are the coalitions recommendations, and letters to President Obama and Congress.
Iowa Governor Culver and Rhode Island Governor Carcieri Release Great Expectations: The Governors’ Wind Energy Coalition’s 2010 Recommendations
Iowa Governor Chet Culver and Rhode Island Governor Donald L. Carcieri today released Great Expectations: U.S. Wind Energy Development, the Governors’ Wind Energy Coalition’s 2010 Recommendations. Governor Culver and Governor Carcieri are the chair and vice chair of the 29-state organization.
“The title of the governors’ recommendations could not be more apt,” said Governor Culver. “Americans have great expectations for the nation’s energy future, and these recommendations from the nation’s governors to Congress and the Administration meet those expectations,” Governor Culver said.
“This is the first set of comprehensive wind energy recommendations ever submitted to Congress by a group of the nation’s governors,” said Governor Carcieri. “These recommendations could not be more timely. Congressional action on the energy bill seems to have stalled. It is our hope that these recommendations — and the national bipartisan consensus they represent — will advance the energy deliberations now under way in Congress,” Governor Carcieri stated.
The recommendations call for the following actions by both Congress and the Administration:
- Adopt a Renewable Electricity Standard.
- Develop New Interstate Electric Transmission System Infrastructure as Needed to Provide Access to Premier Renewable Energy Resources both On-Shore and Offshore.
- Fully Support Coastal, Deep Water, and Offshore Wind Energy Technology and Transmission Research and Development.
- Streamline Permitting Processes for Both Offshore and On-Shore Wind Energy Development Projects.
- Expand the U.S. Department of Energy’s Work with the States and the Wind Industry to Accelerate Innovation.
- Extend the Treasury Department Grant Program in Lieu of the Investment Tax Credit, and Adopt a Long-Term Renewable Energy Production Tax Credit With Provisions to Broaden the Pool of Eligible Investors.
Great Expectations: U.S. Wind Energy Development, Governors’ Wind Energy Coalition’s 2010 Wind Energy Recommendations is available at www.GovernorsWindEnergyCoalition.org
The Governors’ Wind Energy Coalition provides national leadership on wind energy policy. The Coalition is a bipartisan group of 29 of the nation’s governors who are dedicated to the development of the nation’s wind energy resources to meet America’s domestic energy demands in an environmentally responsible manner — while reducing the nation’s dependence on imported energy sources and stimulating state and national economic development.
Through its multi-state coordinated efforts, the Coalition is engaged in several national initiatives: encourage sound national policy and legislation for the development and distribution of wind-generated energy; communicate and demonstrate the value and benefits of wind energy to consumers, energy companies and policy makers; share state best practices in wind and renewable energy policy development; create an environment of support for those who wish to develop responsible wind energy resources; and support development of infrastructure for the expansion of wind energy across the United States.
The Coalition’s policy activities address all aspects of wind energy development, and technologies yet to come. For more information, visit www.GovernorsWindEnergyCoalition.org